[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Wed Feb 7 08:40:39 EST 2007

We both know people who run registries, perhaps you should talk to someone
who runs one and isn't an incumbent (ie with a vested interest in making
it sound harder than it is).  The technical problem is long-solved.  The
"companies" part of the problem isn't especially hard either since you
have a pretty small number of clients (registrars, rather than the
public).  I would guess that it's actually much tougher to be a registrar
on the companies end.

The 'hard' part of being a registry is being sufficiently reliable.  But
Karl and others tell me the tech problem isn't very interesting or
difficult.

As for registries that may die, this also is a solved problem
intellectually: (1) ICANN can demand that data be escrowed with a trusted
third party; (2) Even without (1) we let the market sort it out.  If there
are many players, one failure isn't a big deal; and if maintaining the
data has value, some other player takes it over.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, veni markovski wrote:

> At 08:43 PM 2/6/2007  -0500, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>> It's based on RUNNING CODE.
>
> I think I asked Milton, not Michael :)

You asked on a public list...

--