[governance] Re: ICANN taxes/fees

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Wed Feb 7 08:17:22 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 07:25:46AM -0500,
 veni markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> And here's another question: if running registries is easy, and
> people get "local" domains, what happens when the registry goes out
> of business, or the person who is running it decides to move in
> another city, or country, or stops working on computers? What will
> the users do with all the e-mails they are getting at their "local"
> domain.

Come on. Every day, in ICANNland, people lose their domains, because
they forget to renew (or their registrar forget to tell them) or
because the domain was suspended by GoDaddy because MySpace asked so
or because they were hit by an UDRP from a big company with many
lawyers or because the domain was hijacked. And nobody cares.

Tell me rather what would happen if Verisign goes brankrupt. Does the
ICANN has a up-to-date copy of the database? (Including the
information stored in registrars' bases.)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org