[governance] ICANN taxes/fees (was: Caucus at IGF stock taking meeting)

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 14:26:40 EST 2007

Hi George,

> This may be the wording of the Tunis agenda, but in fact, I believe
>
> that both Nitin desai and Markus Kummer have stressed that the
> purpose of the IGF is discussion, and that appears to be the
> opinion
> of members of the advisory committee also.  There may have been
> some
> rethinking about the mandate of the IGF after Tunis; I'm not sure.

I hope you do realize how preoccupying it is that a few individuals,
no matter their rank, endeavor to supersede a world summit outcome
with their own opinion of what should be done or what is feasable.
For if what you're saying is true, as I'm inclined to beleive
(knowing you're not exactly the kind of man to say those things
lightly,) then it is not even a reinterpretation we are dealing with
here, but a simple replacement of a summit outcome by a
backdoor-crafted "decision" by a few individuals (to my knowledge no
meeting, no matter how restrictive, has been called to that specific
effect.) And shall I remind you that the MAG is not even the direct
result of a summit decision, as for the WGIG. And I'd find all this
amazing, to say the least.

Last, IMHO, it is still possible to have a role in policy-making
without taking binding decisions. A respected discussion forum can
highly and significantly contribute to setting the agenda for final
and binding decisions.

Best,

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org