AW: [governance] ICANN taxes/fees

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sun Feb 4 06:49:11 EST 2007

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
> George:
> one reason that Athens worked so well, and that there was so much
 > pleasant mixing of people from different sectors, was that there were
 > no decisions to be made, and no statements that would have to be
 > crafted.   I agree with his assessment.
> Wolfgang:
> I fully agree with George. It was the "liberation" from the need to
 > draft a final document which stimulated the debate. However, in the
 > long run people could ask for more. One compromise could be to send
 > "messages" from the IGF, but not recommendations or non-binding
 > resolutions.

I would prefer to call a spade a spade.  Already we have "dynamic
coalitions" when what is really meant is self-organised working groups;
next "recommendations" are to become "messages"?  Is the idea of
multi-stakeholder governance really that challenging?  Exactly how
ineffectual do we want the IGF to be?

Most obviously WGIG, but also, for that matter, UNICTTF, are examples of
other UN-affiliated bodies of multi-stakeholder composition that were
endowed with the clear authority to make recommendations.  Remember how
some regressive governments protested about that, in WGIG's case - but
it blew over soon enough.  So it will with the IGF.

For global public policy decisions to be made in a multi-stakeholder
forum is very much the new reality of the 21st century international
system, and Internet governance is simply one of the vanguards of that
new paradigm.  We are the last people, of anyone, to be shying away from
that fact, and history will not remember us well if we do.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org