Access Topic Re: [governance]

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat Feb 3 19:23:49 EST 2007

l.d.misek-falkoff wrote:
> It happens themes of 'rights and duties' (hence of freedoms and their
> exercise) is one of my prime themes, and I feel fortunate to be 'in the
> room' to discuss this. The same with disabilities and whether I can
> physically arrive at and step into a room; in each case might one
> suggest that /access/ is "condition-precedent"; I think that is a flavor
> of what is being discussed in different demographic groups and much
> welcome your comments of course.

I still feel that it is only one important theme of many.  It is
important not only that the Internet is as accessible as possible (which
will never mean accessible to all, but to be as accessible as a library
is a possible objective), but that the Internet to which people have
access is one in which, to give just two examples:

(a) communications and access to knowledge are neither unreasonably
     impeded nor intercepted by government, (as in China, Syria, etc)
     or the private sector (RIAA, etc);

(b) by connecting, one does not do (or suffer) more harm than good
     by falling victim to (or participating in) botnets, spam, malware,
     phishing, etc.

Since one might well be rather ambivalent about having access to a
network in which such conditions as these are not satisfied, they might
as easily also be regarded as conditions precedent.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org