[governance] Caucus at IGF stock taking meeting

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sat Feb 3 10:47:17 EST 2007

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
>> McTim wrote:
>>
>> A significant portion of which is already used to fund Internet
>> Governance fora.
>
> Exactly, and I am just asking if the IGF could not be one of them.

Just for the sake of precision, AFAIK ICANN made significant contributions
to the funding of the IGF in Athens and of various items in the WSIS/WGIG
process.

About the idea of making this flow of money compulsory, I think that it
would be very difficult to make it palatable to those who pay ICANN's
bill, namely registrars and registries, who always complain about any
"political" use of ICANN's money. As there is no authority that can force
all these companies in all these countries to collect money and give it to
the IGF, I don't think it would fly unless you can really convince anyone
that it's a Good Thing.

This would possibly require having much more concrete plans on who
collects this money, how it is allocated, for what, what decision-making
and management processes and entities are there... I mean, the IGF isn't
even an incorporated entity with a budget, at this point in time. So if
this is something that people really want to put on the table, it should
be much more refined than this; putting it out as a vague "we want money"
cry will only backfire.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------