[governance] RE: GeoTLD

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Dec 28 03:41:45 EST 2007

Avri Doria wrote:

You ask so many good questions.

As regard your question about root operators following some authority
for choice of TLDs:

Imagine if everybody who operates a root system - which ultimately could
be every user[*] - did not look to any authority other than his/her/its
own perception of self interest.  For the vast majority of providers
this means going with the herd - which, as we are learning from swarm
behavior theories - means that pretty much every provider will offer the
TLDs that we all know and love.  Those who chose not to provide these
will probably fail or, like some divergent religious groups, be quite
happy in their splendid isolation.

But, and this is the important part, each provider would be free to add
anything else - new and uncommon TLDs - that strikes their fancy.

Why might something strike their fancy?  Most likely because the new TLD
operator is holding out a handful of cash.

Where is a new TLD going to obtain that cash?  Who knows.  Maybe it's
from some city, like Berlin, that is willing to buy its way in to enough
roots that it becomes something that every root operator feels it must
carry.  Or perhaps it is a part of revenues derived from registry fees
or data mining.  Who knows.  And who cares? (as long as it is not illegal.)

This kind of independent, self interested, decision makings means that
we end up with a very nice way for new TLDs to be born, try to grow, and
maybe even grow up to be one of the big ones that every root operator
feels that it must include in its inventory.  The flops will flop and
fade, as they should, into obscurity and oblivion.

Even in networking protocols we have that kind of thing - once Novell
and IAX/Netware and IBM's SNA ruled the networking landscape.  But this
idea of TCP, particularly with some boosts from UC Berkeley and
companies like FTP Software, Proteon, TGV, Intercon, and Sun came out of
the back rooms and knocked the socks off the old champions.

All I am suggesting is two things: 1) that we stop auto-bespattering
those who want to try to do things differently (but still within the
scope of internet standards) than has been the routine and 2) that we
take care to build institutions of internet governance only when there
really and truely is a thing that needs the heavy hand of "governance"
rather than the less coercive hands of user and provider choice
(something we call "free competition") practiced within the scope of
broadly accepted civil and legal rules.

You suggested that ICANN might be viewed as a "clearinghouse".  I'm
having trouble reconciling (pun intended) my sense of that word - a
place where transactions are presented and accounts are settled - to the
role that ICANN fills: that of making choices among competing
allocations.  Clearinghouses don't say 'no' to transactions, but ICANN,
on the other hand, does seem highly preoccupied with denying people the
opportunity to make transactions and investments.  So, I don't see the
analogy.

You asked a good question about why, if there is nothing that stops this
from happening, why it has not.

That's got several answers.

First is that there have been several people and groups who have done
such a horribly bad job of it that it has created a broad impression
that any and every group that might try it anew will do an equally bad
job.  (By-the-way, I measure the quality of the job done by looking at
the quality with which name query packets are turned into name response
packets - to my mind the front-office task of registering and
transferring names not where we should be measuring quality, although
the practice has been to use that as the sole metric.)

And second is that ICANN has engaged in a kind of warfare upon those who
suggest the idea of competing root systems.  Indeed, some of ICANN's
statements over the years, particularly with regard to New.net, could
possibly have been construed as business libel.

Remember the Hush-A-Phone case -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush-a-Phone_v._FCC - This was a situation
in which some folks invented a plastic hand to focus a speaker's voice
into those old carbon microphones found on phones through the 1960's.
That hand also helped prevent others from overhearing.

Anyway, AT&T, along with the FCC swore up and down on a stack of bibles
that this entirely passive device - a plastic hand - would cause
operators to go deaf, cause telephone repairman to be electrocuted, and
otherwise cause the internet of that era, the telephone system, to
collapse into a pile of sparking and smoking wires (like computers do in
movies.)

That was, of course, patently false - which is what the courts
ultimately found (after 26 years).  But it does indicate the energy with
which entities, including technical ones, like the FCC, will go to
protect their status quo.

I may not be a conscious thing, but every generation of technical folks
are proud of their creations and often lose perspective when evaluating
changes to those creations.  So it is not surprising that one of the
grumbles that comes out of the IETF rather frequently is that newcomers
lack "clue".

And third, we have the presence of the US Government standing behind all
of this.  That looming presence suggests to any investor that before
they can open their doors for business they may have to go to the mat
with the largest, richest, and most powerful government on earth.

As a consequence, those who have money to invest have been into a
position in which they have to ask whether they want to A) invest into
something that will face condemnation, righteous sounding condemnation
whether it is right or not, and perhaps the wrath of the US government
or B) invest in what they hope will be the next Google.

In other words, ICANN has scared away the investors and investment
dollars.  Just look at what ICANN did to those 40 groups that paid
$50,000 each just to apply for a new TLD and have been strong along now
for 7 years.  And then, those few that did get through the gauntlet had
to endure what amounted to an ICANN run colonoscopy of their business
and financial matters (but not their ability to run DNS servers.)

Consequently, even though it is entirely feasible to establish competing
root systems, it is not an attractive investment opportunity.  The
reason that it is shunned is not that there isn't money to be made -
there is, lots of it from data mining for commercial and
governmental/intelligence purposes, but because those who propose the
idea are painted as pariahs and nutjobs.

[*] There was once a system called "Grass Roots" which was a website in
which the user could select among the (then) thousands of TLDs, and in
cases of conflict, select which among the conflicted offerings.  Then a
zone file was produced, and a named.conf file, that could be plopped
into Bind so that any *nix machine could become a highly personalized root.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org