[governance] RE: GeoTLD

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Dec 27 02:19:42 EST 2007

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> All decisions about what TLDs exist _do_ have to be made at the
> global level.

Not really.  (By-the-way, it may be a bit ironic to consider the
relative sizes and recognition between the city in which you live,
Syracuse, New York, as compared to its classic namesake - between the
two, which might have a better claim to TLD status?)

But back to why we do not need a singular global body to make choices
about TLDs:

If we accept the proposition that there can be multiple root systems,
each with its suite of TLD offerings, then the choice becomes one made
by the users of the internet rather than by some singular overlord of names.

As I have described previously, there is nothing in internet technology
that prevents multiple roots.  In fact the end-to-end principle requires
that the possibility exist.

Any root that offers a suite of TLDs would be crazy to offer a suite
that does not include the familiar core TLDs - the ones we now get from
NTIA/ICANN.  Any root that offers something inconsistent with that will
shortly find its way into the trash heap of internet failures.

In that way, the folks proposing .berlin could go to various root zone
composers and say "Please put us into your root zone", just as they are
now asking ICANN to put .berlin into the ICANN/NTIA root zone.

Perhaps they will do it way that ICANN likes - mountains of paper about
business plans and payment of big evaluation fees.  Perhaps some root
zone compositors will be more forthright and simply say "just pay us a
percentage of your revenue", other might simply say "we like you, so OK".

That then allows internet users to make the choice whether .berlin
floats or sinks - by choosing those root zone providers that offer
.berlin, and, of course, buying names in .berlin.

In most of the world a new brand of laundry detergent does not apply to
the Worldwide Ministry of Soap for approval.  That kind of idea was
tried in numerous 5-year plans in the old USSR and nobody has ever said
that that was a system that was responsive to user needs.

Rather, a new brand of laundry detergent must fight to build its brand
(name recognition) and obtain space on the shelves of stores.

There is no reason why TLD creation must occur using the model of a
top-down planned economy (the ICANN method) rather than a competitive
economy in which user choice ultimately determines success and failure.

(On the original issue - the elevation of geographic places TLD status -
perhaps we ought to take the ENUM idea, but use LAT/LONG coordinates
instead - so the domain name 50.30.N.13.25.E.geo - would map to a NAPTR
record that could produce URI's relating to Berlin.  - I believe that
was part of the idea of the .iii proposal that ICANN put on hold in year
2000.)

Such a geographic coordinate based system - or simply nesting cities
within their country codes - would certainly make a lot more sense than
elevating city names to TLD's - has anybody counted the number of cities
named "Los Angeles" that exist around the world.  Even my own city of
Santa Cruz finds its name replicated a hundredfold and more in Spanish
and French names around the world.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org