[governance] RE: GeoTLD

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu Dec 27 01:48:06 EST 2007

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> It might be different if the government of Berlin had developed a
> proposal for a TLD. But it didn't. And as far as I can tell it doesn't
> have any plans to develop the resource. It just wants to prevent
> someone else from using it, in order to assert some kind of power over
> it. It is not willing to let the people of Berlin decide for themselves
> by patronizing - or not - the service offering. Frankly, I find this

Well, that opens up the question of how deep down you want to dig before you
assert a mandate.

Like a swiss canton where you can poll the entire population to decide where
to locate a public toilet or bus station?

Or like a city government elected by the people of berlin, to decide at
least some things on their behalf?

If it claims to represent Berlin the city, instead of say the string Berlin
as in "Irving Berlin" or "Berliner" for a jelly donut as in JFK's "Ich bin
ein Berliner" ..

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org