[governance] "Internet users" Summit

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Dec 13 02:41:43 EST 2007

Hi Jacqueline,

Actually, I tried to find on various ALAC lists any substantive
discussions that this proposal (which, as I mentioned, was sent to
ALAC structures on November 1st) would have created, and found
nothing of this sort. I would have expected that the proposal
(vision, objectives, deliverables, restricting conditions on
attendance, frame, and tonality of expected discussions -- as well as
the legitimacy and relevance of the very existence of such
conditions) of an "Internet user Summit" would be at least discussed
on a mailing list which archives are public (if the list itself is
not open). If it's about an at-large structures/ALSes meeting, then
fine; but if this thing claims to be an "Internet users" summit, then
this is not understandable.

How could I send comments to a committee which discussions are closed
(thus, I don't even know on which current version of the proposal I
should comment), and which existence is not even clearly announced
and known?

Also, I don't see why you've decided, without informing me first, to
copy your answer (including my comments, thus actually copying my
comments) to another, closed, list? As you should be well aware, one
does formulate comments depending on which group of people they are
addressed, and depending on a whole context (the "Internet users"
summit was discussed on this governance list). A more respectful
attitude would have been to provide the information that a committee
was working on this, to provide the last version of the proposal, and
then to encourage providing comments to this committee.

In any case, your answer confirms my initial comments on this
"Internet users" summit. In addition, I would appreciate your own
comments on this, like, say, what is not anymore relevant as it has
been modified or suppressed by the committee, since you seem to be
part of it. Other members of this "committee" who are subscribers to
this IGC list are also welcome to provide information and answers to
questions.
Here are again my initial comments:

Best,
Meryem