[governance] Fwd: URGENT ALERT - climate-wrecking at Bali

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 08:31:46 EST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Hilder - Avaaz.org <avaaz at avaaz.org>
Date: Dec 12, 2007 10:56 AM
Subject: URGENT ALERT - climate-wrecking at Bali
To: "nyangkweagien at gmail.com" <nyangkweagien at gmail.com>

    Dear friends,

  The US, Canada and Japan are climate-wrecking at Bali - here's our global
emergency petition to save the talks, add your name automatically by
clicking below!

"* We call urgently for the US, Canada and Japan to stop blocking serious
2020 targets for emissions reductions, and for the rest of the world to
refuse to accept anything less."*
<http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_emergency/5.php/?cl=42374755&signup=1>
[image: Click Here to Sign Now]
<http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_emergency/5.php/?cl=42374755&signup=1>*We're
here at the climate summit in Bali -- but it's reached crisis
point.*Working late, negotiators were nearing consensus that
* developed countries should pledge post-Kyoto emissions cuts by 2020*--a
step which the scientists say is needed to avert the worst ravages of global
warming, and which will help to bring China and the developing world
onboard. But then the news broke: *the US, Canada and Japan rejected any
mention of such cuts.* Every few hours the draft changes.

We can't let three governments hold the world to ransom: so *we're launching
a global emergency petition before the summit climax in 48 hours. *We'll
deliver our message every way we can -- a stark *full-page advertisement in
the Financial Times* Asia, stunts at the conference gates, direct to country
delegations -- telling Canada, Japan and the US to accept the option of
post-Kyoto targets, and the rest of the world to settle for nothing less.

Please take a moment right now to *sign the new global emergency
petition*-- the text is in the box above, so click this link to sign
automatically if
you've taken action with us before -- then *tell all your friends*:
http://www.avaaz.org/bali_emergency/5.php
<http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_emergency/5.php?cl=42374755&signup=1>

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the expiring Kyoto pact, but Japan, the
US and Canada don't seem to want a workable global deal to follow it.* There
is almost universal agreement in Bali *that the idea of 2020 climate targets
should be included, making possible a deal to bring the developing world
onboard over time. As the news links below make clear, the US, Japan and
Canada are destroying that delicate bargain, not even allowing the idea to
be mentioned.

*We're doing everything we can. *Tens of thousands of Canadian Avaaz members
have launched an ad campaign telling their government not to betray them --
our Japanese members are emailing their leaders -- while our American
members will send their own message to Bali as Al Gore and Congressional and
local representatives land there, asking negotiators to ignore the official
US delegation because it does not represent them.

Coming from every country on earth, *all of us can play a direct role in the
Bali face-off *by signing this global emergency petition -- delivered at the
summit gates, in a full-page Financial Times ad, and direct to delegates. *Add
your name at this link, act now and spread the word -- we have just 48
hours: *

http://www.avaaz.org/bali_emergency/5.php<http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_emergency/5.php?cl=42374755>

With determination and hope,

Paul, Ricken, Galit, Ben, Iain, Graziela, Milena and the whole Avaaz team

PS This article explains a bit of what's going on:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/10/news/climate.php

The New Scientist has more detail here:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/environment/2007/12/bali-draft-hints-emissions-targets-may_10.html

We're in the thick of things here at Bali -- Avaaz was the only organisation
allowed to demonstrate inside the fortified summit Saturday. As hundreds of
thousands marched around the world, we brought over half a million voices to
the heart of the decision-making venue, carrying big banners and scores of
country flags. We've also been hosting the daily Fossil Awards of the
Climate Action Network, the umbrella of all the NGOs here – see
http://www.avaaz.org/fossils.

*ABOUT AVAAZ*
Avaaz.org <http://avaaz.org/> is an independent, not-for-profit global
campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values of
the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in
many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations,
and is staffed by a global team based in London, New York, Paris, Washington
DC, Geneva, and Rio de Janeiro.

You are getting this message because you signed
"<http://www.avaaz.org/en/avaaz_general_subscribers>"
on 2007-09-29 using the email address nyangkweagien at gmail.com.
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add
avaaz at avaaz.orgto your address book. To change your email address,
language settings, or
other personal information, click
here<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/index.php?r=profile&user=4321dc0b926ebea4cd1fbe5262266f52&lang=en>,
or simply *go here to
unsubscribe<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=42374755&email=nyangkweagien@gmail.com&b=329&v=1166&lang=en>
.*

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to
info at avaaz.org. You can also send postal mail to our New York office: 260
Fifth Avenue, 9th floor, New York, NY 10001 U.S.A.

If you have technical problems, please go to http://www.avaaz.org.

--
Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper