[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Dec 10 14:53:30 EST 2007

Bill, Ian,

Jumping in as someone who has 'forum shopped' into and out of ITU:

I agree with Milton that ITU can be a total timesink, and agree with Bill that in spite of that it behooves CS to keep pushing on the door if it is starting to sway open; without illusions about how far that may get CS inside.

Legitmating Bill and/or others as CS/IGC ambassadors into that (swamp? ig policy arena? pick your adjective) on the Committee of Experts is I agree worth some effort.

Also, a side door into ITU agenda-setting is through their mega-conferences, for example ITU Telecom Africa in Cairo in May; not that we don;t all have more than enough events to go to already.  Usually just industry and regulatory types and a select few academics get on their programs. But the chair of the the ITU program committee Norman Lewis happens to be working for my startup WGC - talk to me offline about that ; )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> ian.peter at ianpeter.com 12/10/07 2:01 PM >>>
What Bill said * if we are going to do anything in the field of Internet
governance, we have to deal with less than perfect organizations such as UN,
governments, corporations, ITU, ICANN, IGP, and, dare I say it, the civil
society caucus.

If we can find a way to participate, we should. We should at least follow
Bill’s suggestion that we ask for CS participation on the Committee of
Experts. We could submit a raft of names for consideration asking that at
least one be appointed (all submitted candidates should be people who we
know would report back and liaise with CS)

Ian Peter

Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd

PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

www.internetmark2.org

www.nethistory.info

   _____