[governance] IGF Book

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sat Dec 8 17:15:15 EST 2007

At 11:42 AM +0100 12/8/07, William Drake wrote:

Thanks Bill,

>PS: Codification? Axiom?

Codification:

In your piece you refer to a number of passages in WSIS documents, etc.,
that refer to various aspects of the three overall principles you list.
You then proposed "transparency, inclusive participation, and coordination"
as a formulation that captures all such principles generally.  As this is
not how the text appears in the WSIS document, it is an additional
integration of ideas by you.

Axiom:

That the IG community as a whole has already actually agreed to such
principles (in principle...).  I was (and remain) uncertain about whether
this was in fact accurate as an operational assumption.

I applaud your advocacy here, and I hope the "leverage" from established
rhetoric has a firm enough place to stand in the Archimedian sense.  But my
personal expectation at this time is that "only time will tell."

I hope everyone who agreed to the WSIS principles will "put up" moving
forward by supporting the creation of a formal process for assessment and
promotion of the implementation of these principles.  This is one of the
deep core issues in any governance context.  Especially when political
dynamics are involved, the only way to achieve meaningful accountability is
through structural and procedural formalities.

Without a clear "rule of law" there is only the "rule of man" to fill the gap.

Dan
     governance at lists.cpsr.org