[governance] IGF Book

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat Dec 8 05:42:37 EST 2007

Hi Dan,

On 12/7/07 10:53 PM, "Dan Krimm" <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:

> Bill, given the codification in your conclusion:
>
> "Transparency, inclusive participation, and coordination, to the
> extent practicable, ought to be regarded as comparatively anodyne
> principles on which the international community can readily
> agree. In fact, it already has. All that is needed now is to put
> in place a process to assess and promote their implementation."
>
> Are you sure that the apparent agreement here was not based implicitly upon
> an assumption by some that implementation might well be illusory?  That is,
> some folks might be perfectly happy to give lip service to high-flying
> moral principles as long as they don't have to actually do anything about
> it on the ground when they get home.

Right, it's a "constructive" advocacy piece trying to remind/leverage "we
all agreed to this" in a book published by the German government for a MS
audience, rather than a biting critique of the interests at work and games
being played.

> I would love to believe that your axiom here is true, but it is easy to
> have doubts.  If it is true, then of course it'd be fabulous for IGF to
> take it up systematically moving forward.  In fact, even if it is not true,
> IGF should still try, because in the process of addressing the details of
> "transparency, inclusive participation, and coordination" (you've certainly
> got *my* vote for that, and in the *broadest* way possible) any rhetorical
> posers will be exposed and publicly shamed.

The first half has already been done repeatedly, the second no.  Of course,
it'd be preferable to have such an enterprise carried forward in a more
consensual "best practice sharing" manner, but if we can't have any good
faith engagement on doing what was endorsed then may this orientation
becomes the only recourse, other than whimpering and letting it drop.

Cheers,

Bill

PS: Codification? Axiom?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org