[governance] Re: internet in the developing world

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:55:36 EST 2007

The article by Steven Huter and Adiel Akplogan ends:
"To take full advantage of the power of the internet, African leaders
must give rise to regulatory and political environments that remove
cumbersome barriers, encourage competition by opening up markets to
engage more access providers, and capitalise on these positive forces
that ultimately will be the dynamic impetus to propel Africa forward".
Take for example: "(giving) rise to regulatory and political
environment that remove cumbersome barriers..." When you look at the
situation in the Central African region where it takes a full 13
months for an operator to receive an acknowledgement letter for a
demand for a licence to operate a VSAT internet services,  there is
need to give more consideration for that enlightened opinion. It
should be noted that it will take another twelve or more months for a
licence to be accorded. In the main time, ISP monopolies are
encouraged, with the resultant effect being high cost of connection.
On the other hand, the SAT3 optical fibre cable that sails the coast
of Sahara Africa is another wasted opportunity not being exploited by
countries of the Central African region. Unlike their counterparts of
the West African region that have made an inclusive exploitation of
this utility thus obtaining better internet connection for their
citizens, internet connection in  countries in Central Africa region
in return, is dastardly very slow and uncertain.
Isn't it time to include internet connection development as one of the
guideline for debt cancellation?
I agree that cost of computers remain expensive, but the high material
cost could be depreciated by rapid connection and low internet cost.

The article was a very good one and I encourage Mr Cerf and co to
consider this angle in seeking for the encouragement of more internet
connectivity.

Aaron

On 12/6/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> wrote:
> Too bad this excellent summary ends with the standard propaganda for
> deregulation, mixing political/police regulations like it exists in
> Tunisia and various business regulations which try to keep the
> country's economic system away from the jungle's law.

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22