[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:24:32 EST 2007

Hi Danny,

There is a world of difference between the suggestion to allow for
introduction of a service that would help a third party tackle one source of
spam; and saying you have anything to do with spam.

ICANN doesn't have anything to do with spam. It never will have anything to
do with spam. That is a very good thing.

But if ICANN can work with the wider Internet community to do what parts it
can to help in a wider fight against spam, we'll be happy to do it.

Again though it is worth pointing out that "ICANN" doesn't create policy and
approaches from thin air. People out there in the community come up with
ideas and ICANN acts as the disseminator of those ideas. ICANN then reviews
the feedback, tries to find a consensus, and puts out a document with the
hope of moving forward.

That document is then put out for review again - and continues to be put out
for review unless it is boiled down to something people can vote on. Then, a
supporting organisation that works within the ICANN model but acts
independently of "ICANN", meaning ICANN staff, makes a decision.

Then that decision is relayed to the Board - which also acts independently
of "ICANN" - and the Board decides whether it goes through.

In the same way that the earlier email appeared to confuse a whole range of
issues as being related to ICANN; I think there remains significant
confusion over how the ICANN decision-making model actually works.

I realise that this comment will now restart the anti-ICANN arm-waving but
you show me a PDP that started while I have been at ICANN (i.e. one in which
I could reasonably assume to have knowledge of) that hasn't been through a
process in which it is the community that provides the idea, the community
that provides the input, the community that provides the comments, and the
community that makes the decision.

Kieren