[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Wed Dec 5 08:44:18 EST 2007

I don't see how...

> And I would also add that Danny Younger was the GM's chosen example of
> how a
> person 'participates'.

And he does.

> -
> Basically it shows the powerlessness of the User(s).
>
> This was a done-deal, done long ago, and those on the ALAC who were to
> safeguard our interest and also 'safeguard the process'
> ... were not there. Danny was basically told; 'Talk-to-the-Hand.'

Really - I must have missed that email from the ALAC Chair, Cheryl... And
being acquainted with her,  I doubt that she would ever have said anything
like that...

>From re-reading the email list - Danny raised an issue, there was no
traction from other At Large participants, maybe it wasn't important to the
others, maybe for other reasons. For whatever reason, there was no follow up
from the At Large membership. It's definitely a bottom-up process - ALAC
can't be bottom-up and yet force an issue if the region or other members
aren't interested.

Compare this to the Summit idea - that came from Sebastien in Lisbon, gained
a lot of interest from ALSes in San Juan and is now a major project across
all regions. (It did hit some procedural bumps on the way, but they are
mainly past) - that's bottom-up.

I thank that if you have interest in an issue that you believe should be an
At Large issue, then bottom-up suggests that you get other members to buy
into your issue, and ask ALAC to step into the process when necessary.

It's interesting that there's complaints about not enough bottom-up
processes and too many top-down ones, but there's also complaints when the
bottom-up process doesn't function like a top-down one.

Jacqueline

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
22:56

     governance at lists.cpsr.org