[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Dec 3 23:55:22 EST 2007

George:

Interpol can simply facilitate international cooperation among law enforcement agencies. The more interesting questions revolve around who decides what the laws and policies are at the global level when national laws and jurisdictional fragmentation are inadequate to the task of governing the global internet. Interpol can’t do that. ITU (sort of) can, but (perhaps) would do it badly. OECD aspires to be a norm-setter but is a club that doesn’t include the world and is (like ITU) exclusively inter-governmental. So I’d suggest that we need to build on existing internet operational communities and add a layer of more participatory and (dare I say it) liberal-democratic policy making and institutional development.

--M

   _____