[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Dec 3 19:08:44 EST 2007

William Drake [03/12/07 21:57 +0100]:

>This is pretty sweeping.  And to chart the course, the ITU is assembling a
>High-Level Experts Group on Cybersecurity that is to comprise:

>*Academic and research institutions
>*Individual experts
>
>You will note that there is no designated role for civil society
>organizations.

Those two can cover quite a lot of civil society among them. And I have
seen quite a few of the civil society people (especially privacy focused
ones) - Gus Hosein, Rikke Jorgensen etc - at ITU conferences on
cybersecurity in the past. That part at least is quite inclusive and broad
based.

Most of ITU's cybersecurity work - at least under ITU-D - is open for
public comment, and there are comment addresses in the documents available
for download. And civ soc does have a key role to play in some of these
activities (like that botnet project I am working on).

Why not start with that, first?  Before looking for seats at the table for
something that appears to be largely drawing board right now and is anyway
broad enough that it is quite likely going to be split into a lot of
manageable pieces, quite a few of which will definitely get individual
experts (and presumably, CS) involved?

Involvement for involvements' sake? Active contribution in some activities
that are part of this agenda where ITU would certainly welcome CS
involvement? An interesting choice.

	srs (certainly not speaking for ITU here)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org