[governance] Drop ALAC altogether???

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Mon Dec 3 12:53:33 EST 2007

Oh ... Oooooh OK,

I get it now, sorry I'm a little slow to catch on ...

So let me get this striaght:

The FCC is putting up the 700 MHz "beachfront property" for Auction.
[ http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/700mhz-explained/ ]

So as a results, Google and Verison are going to the mat for the space-race.
Ref.: Google to battle telecom giants for wireless Web
http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_7609218

Mean while NeuStar cinches the contract with the NTIA for the next 3yrs,
and operates the North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA)
[ Assigns blocks of phone numbers to all qualified telecommunications companies
in the 19 countries in North America, and manages area code utilization and
relief. ]
[ http://www.neustar.biz/ |http://www.nanpa.com/ ]

The Auction
Now then, Google Brings Vint Cerf onboard, it already has a phone in the works,
a content network, and a huge wad of dough.

NeuStar then aquires Paul Lacouture to its Board of Directors. Lacouture is the
former executive vice president of engineering and technology at Verizon
Telecom, having retired in August 2007.

In his new role, Lacouture joins NeuStar directors James Cullen, former
president and COO of Bell Atlantic Corporation; Ross Ireland, former senior
executive vice president of Services and CTO of SBC Communications Inc.; Dr.
Kenneth Pickar, Visiting Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the California
Institute of Technology; Jeff Ganek, Chairman and CEO of NeuStar; Hellene
Runtagh, former CEO and President of Berwind Group; Joel Friedman, former
president of Accenture's Business Process Outsourcing organization; and Michael
Rowny, chairman of Rowny Capital and former president and CEO of MCI's
International Ventures, Alliances, and Correspondent group.
The company's board now totals 8 members, 7 of whom are non-employee directors.

[ http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NEF06002112007-1.htm
]

How nice.

So as NeuStar expands its global reach, they Join the UIQ Alliance, UIQ
Technology creates and licenses the open software platform UIQ to leading
mobile phone manufacturers. Our flexible and customizable user interface and
development platform is pre-integrated and tested with Symbian OS, the leading
industry standard operating system for smartphones.
[ http://www.uiq.com/aboutus.html |
Members: http://www.uiq.com/partner_directory.html ]

In fact they (NeuStar, Inc.) announced that it has partnered with leading
mobile phone operator SFR to bring Windows Live Messenger to SFR’s 18 million
customers in France.
[ http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=54161 ]

So NeuStar has positioned itself in both the US and European Markets,
NeuStar's the Man ... if Google or Verison wins the 700 MHz Beachfront!

I wonder if they will be selling Beachfront Condos or TimeShares???
Ref.: Will wireless carriers really open their networks?
[
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/att-verizon-really-open-their/story.aspx?
guid=E8841127-57FF-41CC-8C23-FB682B3E6BF3&dist=SecMostMailed ]

Well I'll be damned, ain't that something, all though people do'en all that for
US.
Hummm kinda brings a tear to my eyes.

Danny, as Paul Harvey used to say: And that's the rest of the Story,
and "good day"!
     governance at lists.cpsr.org