[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 16:12:54 EST 2007

Re cost/pricing/profit in domain names, I recall this
comment from James Seng:

"Now, back in the days when I was the CTO of i-DNS
3-4yrs ago, I remember doing a spreadsheet calculation
on the cost to do full-fledge registry operation. At
100k domain names, it would work out to be about
US4-5/name but once it reach 1M domain names, the cost
falls to less then US$1/name. And it get sweeter as
you gain economy of scale :- at 20M names, it cost
US$0.10/name!"

http://james.seng.sg/2005/01/page/2/

     governance at lists.cpsr.org