[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Dec 1 14:14:03 EST 2007

George,

quick:

1. re cost/pricing/profit in domain names. Karl can research this among
the companies. Some are public so the information is available for the
really curious. The general perception is that the real killing is being
made in the secondary market, by "domainers."

2. UDRP and intellectual property law. The UDRP is predicated on the
premise that ICANN is to create new law. Many of us want non-commercial
speech and names to be better protected. We have to work through the GNSO
and changin laws.

3. ICANN Board members' complacency, as assumed by Karl, particularly for
those seated by the Nominating Committee. Having been a fellow Director
to, I think, three generations of them, and having observed the members of
the other councils seated by the NomCom, I can assure you: not so. That's
empirical fact, not a subjective appreciation. Available for confirmation
in the transcripts of public meetings and in the vote counts in the
minutes. Insisting on the characterization of complacency would mean
extending it to Joi Ito, Avri Doria, Steve Goldstein, Sophia Bekele, and
many other well-known independent spirits. "Concrete analysis of concrete
situations," as Lenin used to ask for.

No, not everything is perfect with ICANN. Nor much of the rest of the
world.

Next subject please.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org