[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Dec 1 13:57:03 EST 2007

George,

re how liberalization/privatization, your Rx is generally accepted. Many
of us in Latin America see it lacking, though, in that some strong state
policy is required, together with public investment, in order to push
connectivity and access to large sectors of population and territory which
are not attractive as markets, especially to the large, consolidated
companies which Carlos has described.

You have also seen many analyses of the troubles of pure-market solutions
for island states and other sparsely populated geographies which are not
large enough to support competitive markets, either by population or by
the total mass of money available.

So, many of us have arrived at the conclusion that market-only is not a
complete solution outside the Northern economies - and even there.

Now of course in general the solutions are in-country and barely global,
exception made of international interconnection costs, or international
aid/support for fledling markets and extremely disadvantaged populations.

Mind you, this is one issue in which Carlos and I see almost eye-to-eye,
our differences are of degree. I mention this in illustration of my
concept that once we start looking at different sets of issues, the
alignments of the same set of players change radically.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org