[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sat Dec 1 12:58:08 EST 2007

Hi, Carlos.

My definition of liberalization is not only privatization.  You are
correct in reporting that a privatized monopoly is worse than a
public monopoly, and I am sorry for your experiences.

In "liberalization," (probably a term that should not be used without
some contextual description), I include:

1. Privatization of state providers of ICT services
2. Effective competition in all markets
3. Strong and non-discriminatory interconnection requirements
4. No artificial barriers to entry
5. A "level playing field" for all competitors
6. A technologically neutral legal context for ICT development.

  ... and probably a couple of other things I can't think of at the moment.

Does that help?

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org