[governance] Drop ALAC altogether??

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Dec 1 11:33:22 EST 2007

I thought it important to clarify which IG issues went beyond ICANN, yes. But it makes no sense to "stop talking about ICANN" in that context, because as my list explained, ICANN is related directly or tangentially to all of them.

However, I agree with the proposition that irrational bickering around ICANN -- including the efforts of those who feel overly protective and defensive about it -- can obscure or divert productive discussion of the broader picture.

So what institutional structures do we have besides ICANN to work with?
There are, ranked in order of (my opinion of their) importance,

1. The Forum
2. Proposals for a framework convention or some other method of negotiating "globally applicable public policy principles"
3. "Enhanced cooperation" and other UN-based WSIS followup processes
4. Informal security governance networks
5. WIPO, ITU, OECD and other traditional IGOs

Lacking time at the moment, I would suggest that the best path forward is to find a way to make the Forum contribute in some meaningful way to #2 and #3, and to reinforce the Forum as a way of influencing what happens in #5.

> The intent of that proposal is to frigging stop the frigging polarized

What happened, Alex, were you briefly possessed by Linda Blair's demon? ;-)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org