[governance] MAG future

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Fri Aug 31 09:26:50 EDT 2007

Dear  Lee
> Francis,
>
> Your concern about MAG sounds a bit overwrought to me, frankly.
>
> "Non-governmental stakeholders that belongs to the IGC would have
> completely lost credibility?"  Because?  There's lots of meeting I'm not
> invited to, most of which I am happy to stay out of.

I am somewhat surprised by your comment which is not relevant
It is not about being invited to a meeting or to a club or a committee.
Do not put aside the issue, and try to lead the discussion diverge away.

So lets put the dot on the i, as we say in French.
It is all about MANDATE :
the Advisory Group has been asked to enhance the transparency of
the preparatory process by ensuring a continuous flow of information
between its members and the various interested groups.

The MAG should have been announced publicly and IGC MAG members
should have informed continuously the IGC.

People that are not fulfilling  the mandate that goes along with their
nominiation have lost credibility.

I would add that a few governmental MAG members are quite surprised
by this lack of the transparency in the "civil society"  as "represented"
by the IGC.

>  Perhaps there are bigger deals for IGC to worry about like making IGF
> II a success?

A success for who ?  for those who do not respect any mandate,  the one
from the
SG to start with, and then from the Tunis agenda ?
This is a question of  good faith...

Nitin Desai, the "trusted chair" have spoken repeatedly
about "good faith"...

.
Best

Francis

> [...]
>
> Prof. Lee W. McKnight
> School of Information Studies
> Syracuse University
> +1-315-443-6891office
> +1-315-278-4392 mobile

> Dear Parminder and all stakeholders of good faith
>

>> Meanwhile, I happen to be in Europe the next week, and will be able
>>
> to drop
>
>> in  at the open IGF consultations on 3rd. Let me know who all will be
>>
> there.
>
>> Karen I know will be there, Bill is based in Geneva ... Anyone else
>>
> who will
>
>> be attending? We can plan to meet.
>>

> It happens that the MAG has less and less future...
>
> I learned from a governmental stakeholder that the reconducted MAG
> will reconvene on Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 September.
>
> IF this information is correct,
> it would mean that the law of silence and opacity continues....
> Non-governmental stakeholders that belongs to the IGC would have
> completely lost credibility.
>
> As for the IGF secratariat and the transparency of the IGF web site,
> the facts speak for themselves.
>
> When one reads the last SG statement :
> ----------
> As part of its mandate, the Advisory Group has been asked to enhance
> the
> transparency of the preparatory process by ensuring a continuous flow
> of
> information between its members and the various interested groups.  It
>
> has also been requested to make proposals on a suitable rotation among
>
> its members, based on recommendations from the various interested
> groups.
> ---------
>
> It would be clear that non-governmental MAG members are really
> lacking enthusiasm in enforcing the SG statement, except when they
> are nominated.
>
> I guess that the rotation would be really needed
>
> Best
>
> Francis
>

>> Please also let us know what issues any of the members may want
>>
> raised at
>
>> the consultations. I have looked the new draft program and things
>>
> look quite
>
>> fine at this stage.
>>
>> Along with our workshop on fulfilling the mandate of the IGF, three
>> workshops organized by IGC members seem to be covering all the four
>>
> agenda
>
>> items that we proposed for the Rio meeting, which is quite good.
>>
>> These workshops are
>>
>> Public policy on the Internet
>>
> (http://info.intgovforum.org/yoppy.php?poj=5 )
>
>> Towards a development Agenda for IG
>> http://info.intgovforum.org/yoppy.php?poj=56
>>
>> And
>>
>> Governance frameworks for CIRs
>>
> http://info.intgovforum.org/yoppy.php?poj=37
>
>> Parminder

>> Parminder Jeet Singh
>> IT for Change, Bangalore
>> Bridging Development Realities and Technological Possibilities

 Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
 MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
 http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

 Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
 http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
 E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
 75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
 (33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

 WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
 Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
 Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

 Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org

 WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
 http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org