[governance] Re: ccTLDs and developing countries

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Tue Aug 7 10:19:15 EDT 2007

Hello Stephane and Phil,

I want to understand this particular thread (or parallel) better, wherein your
opinions you demarc the 'Jurisdictional Boundaries' of ccTLDs and gTLDs.

Could you please expand upon it technically (in terms of DNS) & non-technically
(in terms of Governmental lines).

[*Note: Please base your argument from the perspective of the
Consumer/User/Registrant. If you'd like to add the Political aspects like UDRP,
Intellectual Property, etc. / thats fine, but thoses are already understood ]

-
RE:

Phil wrote: ...

You mean that: having ccTLDs, which allow citizens, residents and businesses of
a country to register domain names within a legislative and political framework
that may be more favorable to them, than a gTLD, (where UDRP will ensure that
large corporations can force you to relinquish your domain if they believe they
own the trademark to it) and *possibly*, at a cheaper price -- is a vanity
thing ?

-

Then Stephane wrote: ...

But for the registrant, as Phil explained well, it is *not* the same thing to
be subject to the laws of California (ICANNland, USA), Virginia (Verisignland,
USA) or of his own country!

--

Note* Stephane I like your rhetorical, however I'm not quite clear on how you
have severed these into separate Jurisdictions (what you said, is what I'm

" ... it is *not* the same thing to be subject to the laws of California
(ICANNland, USA), Virginia (Verisignland, USA) or of his own country! "

-
Thnx
     governance at lists.cpsr.org