[governance] Re: ccTLDs and developing countries

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 7 04:38:25 EDT 2007

Further to this discussion, below is a Nominet news release from earlier this year that's particular relevant. While it's for .uk, there's no reason for it to be wildly different to other countries/ccTLDs with the exception of the USA:
British Internet users are six times more likely to choose a .uk rather than .com address when looking for information via an Internet search engine.

The online survey of 2,324 Internet users, which was carried out by YouGov, also found that 62% believe a .uk address suggests a company is local or more relevant than a .com, and a third (32%) believe that it is important for international companies to have local domain names in order to attract local customers.

When asked about searching for a particular company on the Internet, 72% said they would visit a British web address above any other. So, if searching for Amazon, 72% would try www.amazon.co.uk before www.amazon.com. Only 5% of respondents would try the .com option first.

“The findings show that British Internet users are loyal to local websites and have higher levels of trust for the .uk domain name,” says Lesley Cowley, Chief Executive at Nominet.

“It’s clear that the trust issue is one of increasing importance to the Internet industry, as well as Internet users.”

See http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/20876_.uk_over_.com_Feb_07.pdf for the news release online.

Regards
David