[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultationand advisory group meeting please

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sun Apr 29 07:35:50 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/29/07 12:57 PM, "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>> Wolfgang:
>>
>> I support this in<principle but would like to add an evaluation of other
>> IGOs (like ITU, WIPO, WTO, UNESCO) in the evaluation. This cna be done
>> under (1) oder under (2). It would be intersting to compare the level of
>> multistakholder involvement in ICANN and  IGOs.
>
> Sure, makes sense to do it in (1) since it speaks of global public policy
> institutions, though in comparative terms these can be evoked in (2) as
> well. Parminder

I think this point would be better raised in the context of a session on the
mandate, wherein a key topic would be the IGF's ability to "promote and
assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet
governance processes."  In contrast, a session on global public policies
would presumably be about the substantive principles guiding these, not
about the decision making procedures followed in various organizations.
The more topics you load into the description of this session, the less
coherent and appealing it's going to sound.

I also would not name particular organizations in a proposal, as it could
set off alarm bells somewhere.  Anyway there's no reason to prejudge the
conversation and specify a few of the many when what's of interest are the
principles of transparency and inclusion, not particular instanciations.

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org