[governance] Key contributions - come from all sorts of places..

DRAKE William drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Apr 26 11:53:50 EDT 2007

Hi George,

I doubt that anyone would contest that many of the most significant
impediments people face arise at the national level, or that it would be
useful to assess good and bad practices on a comparative cross-national
basis in order to encourage progressive change.  But I would suggest
that this is complementary rather than an alternative to looking at
global IG mechanisms with the same objective in mind, particularly
insofar as local impediments may be related to global or regional
arrangements.  The problem comes when these are posed as binary
alternatives (which I note you did not do), with the implication that
looking at the global stuff is somehow a waste of time and just
"theoretical" (not a dirty word to me, but also a misconstruction here).
  As with the late-WSIS line some tried to push, that we don't need to
talk about IG when there's a global digital divide out there, it sounds
like an effort to divert attention from something people want to talk
about, which doesn't go down well.  I'm all for us trying to walk and
chew gum at the same time, and think there's no need to devalue one in
order to encourage the other.  Agree?  If so, any thoughts on how to
build the national dimension into the IGF?  I doubt that a plenary
discussion would be welcome, at least by certain governments, but maybe
a workshop could try to lay the foundations of a useful framework?

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org