[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultationand advisory group meeting please

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Apr 26 07:26:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/26/07 12:22 PM, "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> (1)   Global public policy for the Internet-- do we need it, who does it and
> what is it
>
> (2)   ICANN - the original idea, its evolution and the its role in the
> emerging context

Does the first one refer to public policy vis. names and numbers?  If so,
perhaps the first two could be folded together.  I would again suggest
though that the "original idea and evolution" framing will seem like beating
dead horses to many, so I'd reformulate it in a more forward looking manner.

> (3)   What is it at global policy level that really impacts access to
> Internet, and through it to the knowledge commons, of disadvantaged people/
> groups

I'm happy enough with the language Milton put forward separately on this,
which resonates with the development agenda stuff I'm interested in
(although one could imagine sneaking in a short sentence using that phrase).

> (4) mandate and role of IGF (and/or application of wsis principles in extant
> IG structures).
>
> We can work on the precise wording of these (Milton suggested some language
> for 3 and Michael Gurstein has suggest some changes in 3 as well, 4 come
> from Bill's suggestion, so he may want to contribute more precise langauge),

How about,

The Tunis Agenda mandated that the IGF should, inter alia, facilitate
discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting international
public policies and issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing
body; interface with appropriate inter-governmental organizations and other
institutions on matters under their purview;  identify emerging issues,
bring them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the general public,
and, where appropriate, make recommendations; and promote and assess,
on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet
governance processes. Since these critically important, value-adding
functions cannot be performed by any existing Internet governance mechanism,
nor by annual conferences built around plenary presentations from invited
speakers, the purpose of this panel would be to foster an open and inclusive
dialogue on how the IGF could fulfill these and other elements of its
mandate.

BD

     governance at lists.cpsr.org