[governance] Interent community, internet users, and the people (was RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC)

Guru@ITfC guru at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 25 01:10:58 EDT 2007

Dear Jeremy and Bertrand,

Thanks for some very insightful and thought provoking comments .... I do
agree with the substance of your arguments.

The issue of hearing the voices of people, particularly those who tend not
to be heard is a big challenge to governance ... and combinations of
representative and participatory democracies that you suggest do seem to be
steps out of the 'silo' and 'opaque' processes that we have seen sometimes
earlier in this area.

while all stakeholders do have a right to participate, how can those with
more knowledge/expertise and also those who are more impacted by a
process/decision particpation be accorded more 'weight' (in many cases this
may begin with even providing an enabling environment for these groups to
actually be present!!) is also part of the same challenge.

regards
Guru

On an aside, as Bertrand says ... CS entities cannot be 'representative' of
their constituencies, they can only speak in favor of them. This brings us
to the moot question of who can represent these constituencies, which will
otherwise not be heard... And here, possibly,  the existing 'representative
structures', such as those of Governments become relevant
. While we do
need to work at improving government structures, make them more accountable
and transparent, we may also need to recognize their importance from this
aspect of 'representation'.... this is one of the reasons why some of us
often emphasize the need to engage with Governments (especially those from
the South) and give 'weightage' to their views in IG processes ... (like the
discussions that some of us from CS had with G77+C for the IGC meeting on a
unified MAG last may).

While we (CS entities from the South) do battle our own Governments on many
issues, we do think that at global spaces such as IG, they could have a
critical role of ensuring that the voices of the large majorities of people
who have not ever heard the term 'IG', are heard. In this sense, 'less Govt
the better' is not usually an option for us.