[governance] Triangular and Variable Geometry in Internet Governance

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:05:52 EDT 2007

Jovan, you wrote :

"Last February, in Malta, Bertrand and I tried to draft some ideas by
applying the TCP/IP analogy to IG. I will try to dig it out. Bertrand, if
you have that draft, please contribute."

Thanks for remembring the discussion in Malta on that idea. Unfortunately I
do not have the notes handy. Will try to dig them out but might be
complicated.

Still, I have been thinking a bit further since then on that track. The
notion of an Internet Governance Protocol (or set of protocols) could
allow distributed and heterogeneous Governance frameworks to interoperate as
a unified Global Internet Governance Architecture. It would serve the same
purpose as the TCP/IP protocol that allowed heterogeneous networks to
operate as a single one, the Internet, or the HTTP and HTML Protocols that
allowed, in the very terms of Tim Berners Lee : "every information syctem to
look like it is part of an imaginary information system anyone can read".

Would be very happy to explore it further with you and others that might be
interested.

A more general remark : moving beyond the "Westphalian" approach requires
what could be called a political paradigm shift (expression taken as an
analogy with Thomas Kuhn's scientific paradigm shifts in his famous "The
structure of scientific revolutions"). In the present case, from equal
absolute sovereignty of nation-states to multi-stakeholder governance.

Interestingly enough, some scientific paradigm shifts are exclusive (like
the Copernican paradigm fully displaced the Ptolemaic one) but others are
what I would call "extending" ones : relativity or quantum physics
extended under specific conditions the traditional newtonian mechanics. The
latter remains valid in everyday applications, much slower than the speed of
light or much larger than the atomic scale.

The importance of the analogy is that the political paradigm shift towards
multi-stakeholder governance is likely to be of the second form : existing
governance frameworks (including national structures) remain fully valid for
traditional issues that are geography-bounded; but in order to address
issues - like Internet Governance - that are particularly transnational,
multi-stakeholder, multi-level and non linear, the multi-stakeholder
paradigm will progressively enhance the present tools and introduce means to
involve other actors than the governments. This includes, as Avri and Karl
have mentionned, individuals, who should have the right to participate, in
an appropriate manner, in the governance processes dealing with the issues
they are concerned with or impacted by.

Finally, the Global Internet Governance Architecture, however it may
structure itself in the end, is likely to ultimately emerge from the
progressive acceptance by a growing number of structures and organizations
of a common operational protocol. Like the Internet and the World Wide Web
did. Rather a peaceful evolution than a violent revolution, but ultimately a
tidal wave nonetheless.

I just hope we all succeed in designing the system so that evry boat (ie :
every category of stakeholder) gets in the end a better opportunity than
today to have a positve influence and jointly solve the challenges we all
face. What is at stake is not certain categories of stakeholder to the
exclusion of the others - or one other - but ther respective roles and
responsibilities each can play in addressing the technical, social, economic
and political dimensions of a given issue.

Best

Bertrand