[governance] Triangular and Variable Geometry in Internet Governance

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Mon Apr 23 06:31:55 EDT 2007

Dear Wolfgang,

I agree that a flexible governance framework is one of the most likely
developments in the field of IG. It is the only way to accommodate diversity
of issues and players. While states formally stuck to "Westphalia," they
accepted the reality of the need to involve other actors through informal
practice (you mentioned in a few articles the practice of "revolving doors"
and "stop-and-go"). Increasingly prominent views suggest that we are
gradually returning to the "pre-Westphalia" tendency of overlapping and
sometimes competing authorities.

One of signals of challenges to "Westphalia" is the emergence of "variable
geometry" governance mechanisms in international affairs. I was surprised to
discover numerous examples of "variable geometry." Some of them reflect
power and responsibility (Security Council veto powers). Others reflect
financial power (IMF/WB). Still others were invented to help weaker
countries (WTO, Rio environmental principle of common but differentiated
responsibility). Others reflect specific interests (commodity treaties -
timber-Brazil). The list can continue.

The challenge of IG is to combine "variable geometry" and
multistakeholderism. How can we involve different actors in discussion on
different issues in different capacities? At times, the "triangular model"
may need to be extended (ICANN: governments, business, civil society,
international organisations, technologists/Internet community,.).

Last February, in Malta, Bertrand and I tried to draft some ideas by
applying the TCP/IP analogy to IG. I will try to dig it out. Bertrand, if
you have that draft, please contribute.

We can organise a half- or one-day discussion on "variable geometry' and IG
in late May (before or after the IGF). I have been discussing this issue
with a few professors from HEI and the University of Geneva, whom we may
invite. Please let me know if there is an interest for this type of
discussion.

Best, Jovan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org