[governance] Framework convention

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Apr 21 21:13:55 EDT 2007

Alejandro Pisanty wrote:

 > the civil answer is that the storm of scandalous statements you have
 > subjected us to, including this last one, is in discord with fact.

I agree that the word "scandalous" is appropriate.  But rather than
being applicable to my comments, it is more appropriate as a description
of ICANN's abandonment of the public interest and its unconcern that the
upper tiers of DNS efficiently, reliably, and accurately transforms DNS
query packets into DNS reponse packets without prejudice for or against
any query source or query subject.

There is certainly nothing inaccurate about what I have written.

ICANN has left internet users in the lurch and at risk of actual
instability and failure of DNS.

ICANN has utterly abandoned its job to oversee that the root layer even
operates at all, much less operates adequately.  We of the internet
community have the current root server operators to thank for the
stability we have had; ICANN is merely a bystander that is willing to
take the credit.

The failure of ICANN to actually engage with the matters for which it
was formed - to protect the technical stability of the internet for the
benefit of internet users - should shame ICANN into action rather than
into hand waiving denials.

The fact that ICANN has become a body that protects its industrial
"stakeholders" rather then the community of internet users is also not
dispelled by denials.

This is why ICANN should be used as a lesson in failure rather than a
model for success.

         --karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org