[governance] Framework convention

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Apr 21 19:32:52 EDT 2007

Alejandro Pisanty wrote:

> Devising a global-governance structure that can have a chance to be
> useful in any issue other than the now-solved coordination of the DNS,
> IP addressing, etc.

I would have to strongly differ with the assertion that DNS coordination
is "solved".

Certainly DNS "solved" in the sense that trademark owners have had their
wildest dreams fulfilled.  And certainly in the sense that Verisign has
had a temporary management contract turned into perpetual ownership of a
money tree.

But what matters to the community of internet users is whether the upper
tiers of DNS reliably, accurately, and efficiently transform DNS query
packets into DNS response packets with neither prejudice for nor
prejudice against any query source or query subject.

In that regard DNS is as naked as it was in 1995 and is as susceptible
now as it was then to failure or destabilization due to natural or human
causes.

In that regard, our experience with internet governance with DNS has
been an abject failure and there remains a very necessary job that is
not being done and all internet users are at risk of a DNS that wobbles
or fails in its most primary of functions.

As for IP addresses - Yes, the RIRs are doing a reasonable, and
relatively inexpensive, job of it.  It is interesting to compare how
they approach their job - they approach issues with a tight focus on
technical matters and do not try to engage in social or economic
engineering.

As for "protocol parameters", well one can't say that the IETF is
particularly satisfied with performance to date.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org