[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sat Apr 21 03:00:16 EDT 2007

At 8:45 AM +0300 4/21/07, McTim wrote:

> ... Internetworking is not like other commons/utilities of a
>nation state because it is transnational.

I'm not sure why that should make a huge difference with regard to the
principle of representation, though it would certainly make a difference in
the practical implementations.

It is still a commons, and an increasingly essential utility in a growing
number of areas of the world.

Not all Internet users (that is, "individual natural persons who use the
Internet in some way"...) are competent to participate in the formulation
of policies to protect their interests in it.  But they still deserve
effective representation in the policy making processes that affect that
use, especially if current policies could prevent their becoming competent
to participate in the future.

There are distinct limits to "self-responsibility" in even the most
democratic governance processes.  There is an ineliminable collective
component to governance in any equitable society, where some people must
take responsibility for protecting the interests of others.

Dan
     governance at lists.cpsr.org