[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Thu Apr 19 12:59:33 EDT 2007

Lucy Lynch wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Wendy Seltzer wrote:
>
>> Everyone who uses the Internet is an "individual Internet user."  Why
>> should we try to give the term more content than that?
>
> Actually, an internet "user" can be a thing (think sensor nets) and
> may very well be at the far edge (last hop) of the network. You may want
> to think in terms of connection and communication at the edge rather
> than just "individual person based" use.

When the sensors get strong AIs and start asking for representation,
then we'll really have a challenge on our hands!  In the meantime, I
think researchers and civilians who use those tools can speak for their
interests.

--Wendy
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
     governance at lists.cpsr.org