[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:48:33 EDT 2007

Hi Jacob,

I don't mean to be a pest about this but has there been any "official"
interpretation on what precisely is meant by the term "individual
Internet user" as below...

There was no response to my two cases from yesterday -- one, that of
(more or less anonymous) cybercafe frequenting I-users and the other,
folks clustered in various groupings "using" the Internet via
telecentres (or community networks as per Michael Maranda's
interventions).

On the principle that silence is consent, if my argument is valid then
could I suggest that the notion of "individual internet user" in fact is
more or less without content as it could either mean anyone, since
anyone could be an anonymous cybercafe or cell phone Internet surfer (or
no one in particular--who would know or could make any judgements in
this regard);  or it should necessarily include some sorts of collective
groupings i.e. families, communities etc. (individuals as collectives
hmmm...-and then who speaks for them and how are the "interests" of
these collectives to be represented, as collectives or as collections of
individuals etc.etc.).

In a global environment where on the one hand Internet "use" is becoming
more or less pervasive and on the other where the notion of who or what
constitutes "the individual" is highly culturally (and even politically)
determined, could I humbly suggest that some other mode of delineating
participation in this aspect of Internet governance be formulated.

MG