[governance] Framework convention

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 08:20:57 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I’m running behind, but before I stop running altogether, I just
wanted to clarify here some aspects of Bill's earlier questions.
First, I was not part of the IGP team that produced the paper on
the FC and my views are personal, though I read the paper and my
understanding of what that FC might be has been helped by
repeated clarifications provided here by some members of the IGP
team such as Milton.

That being said, your assumption or hunch that the embodiment of
the outcome of an FC (or let me switch to m.a., multilateral
agreement, as a more generic term) is a reasonable, even logic,
one. That is because I envision that body as replacing the GAC
and what the GAC was intended (or is now inclined) to do within
ICANN. So, as far as ICANN purports to deal only with the core
resources of the Internet, that tentative conclusion you drew is
indeed sensible. But I have to admit that in the process of
negotiating an agreement, those functions of the current GAC,
and of the future internet global public policy body (p.p.b.),
may be subject to redefinition.

People don't seem to realize that as it stands, the GAC is a
private club, a component of another private entity. Here is an
example to illustrate what I'm talking about. In the wake of the
vote taken by the GNSO council about the definition of the
purpose of the WHOIS database in April 2006, the GAC delegate
from Australia sent a letter arguing against the result of the
vote on bases that clearly contradicted the law and regulations
regarding individuals' privacy as in effect in her country. NCUC
sent a letter via the GNSO to point that out and ask the
delegate for an explanation; a response never came. In my view,
that was not an incident, but a structural consequence of what
the GAC is. This wouldn't easily happen in the UN where they
have a clear international legal basis, and clear mission and
mandate from their governments, etc. (even if many governments
contravene the law in domestic affairs, they wouldn't go up to
making unlawful statements outside; in any case, that's
certainly not the kind of behavior we would want to advocate.)
So do we realize that with a GAC like this, we are worse off
than the UN that many of us enjoy criticizing?!! The difference
is, they are governed by a legal framework in the UN, but not in
the ICANN/GAC.

Therefore, I see an m.a. as instrumental to define the rules,
process and procedures in order to cure such failings. And here,
as John and Kicki mentioned, we have a great example with the
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and the
antecedent of the WSIS itself, to make sure CS weigh in and has
an imprint on the discussions/negotiations outcome.

Now, when talking previously about the FC I wrote that it should
provide us with:

> a concentrated, scalable, multi-level structure where
> governments may get to make final decisions (again, only on
> public policy) but not without accepting external inputs
> (technical community, academia, CS, etc.)

I envisioned something I’d like to illustrate with the following
features (please note, this is just tossing ideas around  as
food for thought.):

1. it will NOT be a universal international organization with
about 200 member states.

2. an administrative procedure directive/resolution, etc. must
clearly lay down the roles and responsibilities of the
structure, its scope (public policy matters where it is
beneficial for us to have a global decision, the principles and
conditions for subsidiarity, etc.), the mechanisms for appeal
and for final decision making. no member has a veto. [subject to
international legal advice, this may entirely be part of the
convention itself, or elaborated later on based on the basic
principles laid down by the convention.]

3. it may include 1 to 3 seats (but same number) for governments
geographically distributed (according to established regional
division so that countries that have some habit of working
together or identifying their interests/problems as close to one
another's, etc. may feel represented and work together.)

4. the government seats may rotate from countries within the
same cluster/region with a term duration to be specified. The
eligible governments must first volunteer to occupy a seat on
the internet p.p.b.

5. relevant international organizations (un, itu, wipo, unesco,
wto? etc.) and the chair of the future icann board of directors
may each have a seat.

6. other members may include Internet/IT-related legal, academic
and technical experts and other personalities of relevance from
what you may call the internet community or the CS. the number
of these seats is fixed and constrained by the size of the
structure which must be kept as concentrated as possible.
vacancies will be publicly advertised, and the p.p.b. will
receive nominations (made by anyone, including individuals and
governments) and candidacies/self-nominations. candidates will
be invited to provide the same types of materials that will be
reviewed by the body, and finalists invited for
interviews/hearings. final decisions and appointments are made
by the structure’s government body as a whole, or by the chair,
for a limited term (to be specified.) Geographic distribution
may be desirable, but not a requirement; the overarching
criterion must be based on how much resourceful the candidates
will be for the work of the p.p.b.

7. in case there is a serious issue from some governments to be
seated with non-governmental actors in making decisions, the
aforementioned non-governmental actors may form a separate sort
of technical advisory committee (t.a.c.) that will be fully part
of the structure (multi-level.)

8. the t.a.c. (in case created) can produce at its own
discretion papers, materials, etc. that the government body will
have to consider while examining related issues. contributions
can be requested from outside.

9. any individual or organization can seize the governmental
body on any internet public policy issues. the government body
can examine the issues before them if they deem to be competent,
or refer the issues to existing bodies that are deemed (more)
competent to address them. Alternatively, advice can be sought
from existing governance, Internet, and international
organizations, as well as from existing national (e.g., the US’s
FCC, the South African ICASA, the Singaporean, etc.) or regional
(e.g., WATRO from West Africa, etc.) regulators.

10. the future icann bodies such as the current gnso council may
continue de develop narrow focus policies relevant to the
organization business. these policies may be adopted/voted by
the future icann board in order to give it the imprint of the
organization before, if relevant (if determination is made that
public policy, industry regulation, etc. issues are involved)
those policies must then be reviewed and approved/validated by
the p.p.b. before they enter into effect.

Ok guys, not that I want to run away from you throwing the
stones, but I have to inform you that I need to get back to my
end-of-semester assignments, lest I shall endure the wrath of my
teachers and mentor. Can’t resolve to be castigated on both
ends.
Cheers,

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org