[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Apr 18 10:10:48 EDT 2007

What is there to learn from the Aarhus
Convention -- ask because it was the subject of
at least part of a workshop in Athens
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Athens_workshops/GreeningIT_Workshop_report_PAN_MST.pdf>.

Ignoring the environment specific stuff, some
text from the report of the Athens workshop:

3.2. The existing parallel between the guiding
principles of Internet Governance and the
principles employed by environmental
sustainability policy instruments like the Aarhus
Convention, needs to be further explored and
exploited. Common features and lessons learned
include:

* the principle of subsidiarity in decision
making which is inherent for sustainable
development policies is particularly relevant for
Internet Governance and ICT policies;
* multi-stakeholder involvement -- already
implemented by the Aarhus Convention;
* broad public participation in an international
fora -- already implemented by the Aarhus
Convention;
* Creating a regulatory framework that obliges
governments and the business to maintain
electronically environmental databases and
proactively share information with the public by
means of telecommunications networks, as already
implemented by the Aarhus Convention and its
protocol on Pollution Release and Transfer
Registers.
* Self regulation mechanisms like electronic
public consultations and a formal compliance
mechanism have already been tried and implemented
by the Aarhus Convention.

and

4. Inventory of events and actors related to the
issue under discussion The workshop focused on
the development and use of policy and
institutional mechanisms which employ Internet
and ICT instruments to strengthen the capacity of
civil society for participation in
decision-making. A case example of an
international policy instrument was presented at
the workshop -- the UNECE Convention on Access to
Information, Public Participation in Decision
making and Access to Justice in Environmental
Matters. The convention, referred to as the
Aarhus Convention, sets institutional and policy
examples which bridge the gap between
environmental sustainability and information
society. ICTs featured little in Millennium
Development Goals' (MDGs) review by the
Millennium Project, and barely in UNDP's Human
Development Report. The impact of ICTs for
sustainable development also received scant
attention during WSIS. Coordination between these
two major international policy processes needs
improvement.

Helpful?

I get the feeling that continuation of themes
from Athens may be a selling point.  But may be
wrong.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org