[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Wed Apr 18 09:41:51 EDT 2007

>The issue is not just what to discuss, but (more, importantly) why, i.e. to
>what effect.
>
>IGF is not merely a deliberative space but (again, more importantly) a
>political one... Or at least somewhere in between the two.

The IGF is what we make of it. We = all of us, governments,
businesses, civil society, users. It can easily become another
UN-agency, if we let it happen.

>levels, secondarily) can and should do about it - and how can we try to push
>them to do it. We need contributions and advocacy in that direction.
>
>Without that 'access' is an empty concept. I have seen too many people think
>very differently about it, and too many people speak about it glibly, even
>deceitfully, because they aren't interested in real political issues which
>impact access.

Well, access for people in developing world is not an empty concept;
it's something they face daily. Or, rather, they face the lack of it.
So, to say it in other words - for some of the members of our list
the most important topic is IP/DNS. For the huuuuuuge majority of
users, they don't care about it. They care how to pay less for their
phone dial-up access.

Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org