[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Wed Apr 18 03:04:32 EDT 2007

Incidentally, that's what I'm doing, but let me explain again what I said:

> As for ICANN reforms and the IGF, what I've said is that, given that any
> reforms of ICANN will have to be approved by the Board of ICANN, it
> might be more productive to participate in the process that ICANN has
> set up at its own meetings to discuss its strategic evolution, rather
> than to stand at the "bully pulpit" in Rio to rant about how ICANN needs
> to change. But these are just my two cents.

I'm not saying "do this and don't do that", I'm just pointing out that
IMHO one thing is likely to have effects and the other is unlikely to
have effects (Bill called it "beating dead horses") - then, everyone is
free to decide where to allocate time.

Personally, I'd hope that the IGF can rather discuss the zillions of
very important IG issues that don't have a home, but if people want to
discuss about ICANN at the IGF, there's nothing wrong. However, I fear
that a discussion on ICANN at the IGF would be so vague to mostly end up
in people doing the diplomatical equivalent of shouting "the USG is
bad!", "no, the USG is good!", "free markets suck!" etc. - rather than
focusing on any practical idea to make ICANN better, which is what we
actually need.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------