[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Apr 17 13:59:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/17/07 6:57 PM, "Milton Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> My frustration comes from your attacks on a Framework Convention as a
> way of moving forward when no better alternatives are offered.

Don't be frustrated on my account.  BTW I wasn't attacking, I was just
saying that I like others here am not persuaded as of yet and the hurdles
seem significant.   Maybe if you lay out what exactly you have in mind such
concerns would be allayed somewhat.  Thus far it's been proposed in a rather
abstract manner that makes it look like form's not following function.

On 4/17/07 7:16 PM, "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Bill
>
>> The original concept wasn't tried a first time, but I'm talking about
>> something more streamlined, monitoring/analysis per the caucus' original
>> proposal.
>
> Would you then agree to the kind of analytical questions based agenda that I
> had proposed as IGC's position for May consultation on IGF?

By that do you mean this?

On 4/13/07 12:53 PM, "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>(1)   Global public policy for the Internet-- do we need it, who does it and
>what is it
>(2)   ICANN ­ the original idea, its evolution and the its role in the emerging
>context
>(3)   What is it at global policy level that really impacts access to Internet,
>and through it to the knowledge commons, of disadvantaged people/ groups

If so, we're not talking about the same thing.  I was talking about
multistakeholder or nongovernmental monitoring/analysis as a horizontal
complement to a vertically segmented and distributed institutional
architecture that arguably makes a meaningful FC difficult to do.

I personally don't find the above formulations to be optimal.  1 is too
broad, 2 sounds a bit like beating dead horses, and 3 is too narrow.   But
others probably feel differently...

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org