AW: [governance] stakeholders vs. natural individuals

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 02:12:22 EDT 2007

All this is a little bit too romantic, and away of the notion of
"stakeholder" I've seen used in the IG debates. Though it
conceptually makes sense to call individual organizations
stakeholders (because they have a stake) in this context, people
seem to refer to this label to categorize sets of actors in the
internet (and global) governance; in other words they are types
of actors (typology), not coherent or homogenous single
organizations. CS as "stakeholder" is a collection of
organizations and _individuals_ (we had this debate before, I
beleive) who clearly don't all agree of all relevant issues at
any time. Neither do the Governments as "stakeholders" etc.

Besides, it is not because ICANN has stopped the so-called
"democatic" election of board members that individuals' views
are totally ignored in its processes, or that anyone that
advocates "multistakeholderism" advocates the exclusion of
individuals. Far from that. And democracy itself has evolved big
time since the city-state of Athens where "demos" was not
necessary a collection of all "natural" individuals, but a
social construct that was... well, a staekeholder of "free
citizens", which left out many: slaves, captured, immigrants,
etc. who also where subjects to the athenian rules.

mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org