AW: [governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Apr 16 00:01:24 EDT 2007

Lee McKnight wrote:

> Multi-stakeholder processes can be imperfect and can be captured, but
> I didn;t see the alternative you were preferring...

As for the alternative that I am suggesting:  Ultimately it comes down
to natural, living, breathing people.

The "stakeholder" approach (which as you mention bears a rather strong
semblance to the "corporatist" approach) measures power and authority in
questions of governance on the basis of some arbitrary and highly
subjective metric, usually the financial interest, of some aggregate body.

Virtually all of these bodies suffer from monomania - they focus upon
and optimize one thing (usually their financial well being) to the
exclusion of all other things.

Governance that admits such players, particularly to the exclusion of
real people, tends to result in systems of governance that ultimately
become nothing more than mutual trade protection pacts between the
chosen players.

Now, all of those aggregate bodies are owned by natural people.  People
are non (usually) monomaniacs.  Instead people make their own choices,
balancing among all of their interests, many of which are non-economic
in nature.

So I am suggesting that we return to the principles of governance that
came about in the latter 1700's and that today form the basis of
democratic (whether direct or representative) modern liberal,
constitutional national governments.

By focusing on systems that make individual people the unit of authority
we obtain a system of governance that is not only more stable but also
more able to accommodate non-economic values.

Now I am not proposing a direct democracy for the internet.  And I
recognize that people will aggregate.  I don't mind representative
systems, or even recognizing that people often aggregate part of their
interests for purposes of economic advantage into for-profit corporations.

What I am proposing is that when we discuss internet governance we
carefully avoid presupposing what groups have what interests and,
instead, recognize that the opinions and value of individual men and
women will vary and that they will coalesce in different ways on
different issues and that we should look to those individual men and
women for the expression of opinion rather than presupposing that some
aggregate entity speaks authoritatively and permanently on their behalf
on all issues.

Thus, rather than recognizing, for example, a trademark body as a
"stakeholder" that we construct systems of governance that look past the
trademark body and measure the consensus or weight of opinion of the
natural humans who stand behind that body - it may well be, for example,
that when they come to weigh, for example, the privacy concerns of
"whois" that some might value the safety of their children against
predators above the protection of their trade and service marks.

If we look at ICANN we see the kind of disaster that has occurred, and
continues to occur, because in its initial creation certain industrial
segments were arbitrarily given preferred status as "stakeholders' and
other segments, as well as the public at large, were left with a
disadvantaged, indeed excluded, status.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org