AW: AW: [governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun Apr 15 06:21:08 EDT 2007

Michael Leibrand:
I'm not aware of any substantial .cat discussions in the GAC.

Wolfgang:
It was probably not discussed in the GAC (unfortunately the GAC meets in closed sessions), but as Amadeu told us during the ICANN Studienkreis meeting in Brussels in October 2005 ICANN wanted to have a statement by the Spanish government which was provided by the relevant ministry via the Spanish ambassador in Washington to ICANN (and supported also by letters from Andorra and the relevant local authority in France where Catalans are living) . With such a letter ICANN had no reason to ask more questions or to approach the GAC as a whole. I personally had a number of individual discussions with GAC members in Luxembourg in July 2005, a couple of month before the .cat contract was signed. The majority of the GAC members was well aware that this case could become the starting point of a big wave with a lot of political dynamite (.basque, .tibet, .tschetschnia .ossetia etc.) but everybody told me "this is not my problem here". When the new gTLD issues was raised in the open GAC meeting, there was silence. Then Michael Niebel raised the .xxx case an the whole discussion on new gTLDs started to become re-focused while .cat continued (fortunately) in the shadow of any serious governmental discussion.

My approach is that the existing formulations in the GAC gTLD principle give enough space to handle individual applications on a case by case basis. A GEO-TLD can always be linked to a public authority (or to a number of public authorities if you have cities/regions/lakes/mountains with the same name in different countries) so that you can bring the involved parties on one table and look into the specific constellation. If the applicant can demonstrate his technical and financial capability as well as a documented interest of a substantial clocal community and if there is no serious concern by an involved public authority, the GEO-TLD should be allocated without any furhter discussion by the GAC or any other committee. Certainly the local public authority has the right to formulate some conditions which can be incorporated into or annxed to the ICANN-Registry contract.

Wolfgang