AW: [governance] ICANN Board Vote Signals Era of Censorship in Domain Names

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:59:03 EDT 2007

We are talking about Berlin - one city in one country, belonging to one
people and there is only one Berlin (barring a few homonymously named places
around the new world).

So what will happen when we get to place names like Victoria? Just about
every English-speaking country has one or more, and it is not uncommon in
non-English speaking countries.

Then, what about geographical feature shared by two or more countries? the
Great Lakes as a group or each individual lake (Canada/ USA); the Pyreness
(France/ Spain), the Alps, rivers that cross a number of countries, Danube,
Volga, deserts that span large areas, such as the Kalahari. ...

And than, just to throw a spanner in, what will became of 'trademarks' such
as amazon?

Rui

On 10/04/07, Michael Leibrandt < michael_leibrandt at web.de> wrote:

> Please note the huge difference regarding the public policy issues between
> a code like .cat which is just a placeholder for a geographic name and a
> code like .berlin which is 100% identical to a well known geographical name.
> Actually, for building a virtual community around a specific geographical
> location you only need to choose option one - the sponsored placeholder -
> which, at least from my point of view, doesn't raise any serious concerns
> and can therefore be introduced without permission from the relevant public
> authority. I'm not aware of any substantial .cat discussions in the GAC.
>
> Michael, Berlin

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa