[governance] IG: constitution and participation

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 15:16:00 EDT 2007

Vittorio,

> On the other hand, "non insiders" have to realize that when
> they show up for the first time to a new place and think to
> know it all, possibly they should rather spend some time in
> learning why the things that look so wrong to them were done
> that particular way.

And must do, as they have common sense and some amount of
reason. I for sure take time to listen and eventually "take off"
in a new setting for a new endeavor. It even occurs soemtimes
that I receive signs of impatience from those who happen to rely
on me to represent or echo their views.

But it's not as if the "non insider" (= not only new comer, but
not from the dominant/mainstream perspectives) necessary knows
nothing about broader policy principles that are relevant across
sectors; nothing (by experience or otherwise, outside the
framing on the agenda of a specific circle) about the issues
being dealt with, or others that should be dealt with. That
should be good enough ground for meaningful participation
without, as Willie suggests below, waiting to be totally
assimilated in and with the mainstream.

Most importantly, reputation is nececcarily based on a shared
sense of what is _quality_ contribution; what is worthy, and
what is considered disruptive, or more precisely, diverting from
what is perceived as worthy? At that level, it takes more than
the learning time (and curve) you're suggesting for building
reputation. Obviously, that shared sense of what is worthy
conditions also who join, in the first place.

But please note that I'm not presenting this as an easy problem
to solve; I don't think there would ever be perfect rules to
resolve this. Just that there may be better ways to prevent
unwanted or illegitimate capture. To that effect, it is
necessary not only to frame right from the inception of the
organization and during the design process, its values and
mission in terms that speak to the widest possible
constituencies it purports to serve; necessary not only to keep
its processes open for wide as much participation; but also
crucial to keep _visible_ by design the loci and guises of those
possible threats to fairness, flaws and limitations in order to
give the community the capability to control to the maximum
extent possible their detrimental effects.

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org