[governance] IG: constitution and participation (was: .xxx. igc and igf)

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 00:29:03 EDT 2007

This is a far reaching insight, Parminda. A couple of
observations as follows.

Don't be surprised: yes IGC, or IG-focused CS in the WSIS and
post-WSIS, is populated with people that you may call ICANN
insiders, ICANNists, or ICANN fluent, etc. In a sense, the
contrary would have been surprising. Note that (this may sound
like a paradox, but) it is probably why IG "made in ICANN" has
become a central issue at WSIS (and don't be fooled like some
ICANN board members and some outside-board zealous thinking that
every time someone is critique of the organization, it's be
cause they hate it - far from that; there are may among us who
actually are ICANN lovers.)

Yes, people in IGC are from complex, various political and
cultural background as "CS" participants. Some are more interest
group lobbyists than others, some more activists than others,
some even more militant, etc. Some are pretty used to
participating in public policy by delivering a statement or
testimony before the legislative body of their country, while
others have to demonstrate in the streets. That diversity may
also be a part of the difficulties or limitations in mobilizing
IGC as per a certain idea of CS engagement.

Last, it is crystal clear: participation, or meaningful
participation (which is in my view a pleonasm) is not guaranteed
because one formally states: "everyone is free to join", not
even when people do actually attend the meetings. A whole other
challenge is how much can you "hear" and how much can you get
"heard"? *Whose* language do you speak, or *whose* language is
spoken in those settings? I'm not talking about "what language,"
which would refer to different idioms, but in whose terms, from
what worldview an issue get framed as an issue, and a non-issue
as non-issue? There are so many venues a "non insiders" may
appear and make an otherwise crucial point (at least from their
worldview) and just be met by a polite smile, without anybody
addressing, following up or taking up the issue. So you're
right, the constitution of ICANN itself, that eccentricity as
Ian pointed out, that "glass menagerie" as I'm tempted to call
it paraphrasing Tennessee Williams, its formation and form, its
identity is blurred at best, and may not covey any meaning to
the largest portion of Internet users on earth. And it's good
you reminding us of this, worth keeping this in mind.

Mawaki

     governance at lists.cpsr.org